This month I got the release out that I had been promising for a couple of months. We decided to change the numbering to 1.x from the previous 0.x release numbering for two reasons: One, we’ve broken backward compatibility with any pre-Java8 products — IDEA 15.x and earlier; the second is that the product has been past the minimum viable product stage for a few years now, and there is no reason to continue to make people think that it’s not ready for prime time. That’s not to say that the product is full-featured, or that we’re done by any means.
The folks over at FlowPlay are seeing some performance issues with the new release. Firstly, a high-CPU usage on macOS, which I haven’t been able to duplicate yet. Secondly, overall slowdown when typing, with the engineers being able to type several characters ahead of what is displayed on the Windows platform. I have spent some time on the issue and have some leads on the Windows side, but what I have found is inconsistent. I’ll keep looking. In the mean time, if others are seeing the issue, let us know what your setup is (e.g. platform, versions, etc.).
I believe that Flash Debugging is working properly now, but I need you folks to test it and let me know if it’s working for you. The last public release has all of my changes addressing the issue. I can reliably start the AIR debugger *as long as* the debugger is associated with .SWF files at the OS level. Another way to think about it is that simply typing the .SWF name on the command line should launch the app in the AIR player. If it does, then OpenFL — and IDEA for non-OpenFL setups — can run the application; if it does not, then neither can and the AIR debugger must be associated with the .SWF file extension.
What I did this month for my sponsors:
– Flash debugging fixes:
o Projects now use a better algorithm to find and start the built .SWF files.
o Unified calculations of run target names.
– Map Initializers
o Parse map initializers as their own entity instead of treating them like arrays.
o Add new rules for type checking of map initializers. (Removed error annotations.)
– CPU Over-use resolution (incomplete)
o Found Java8 issue on Windows.
Other things I worked on:
– Add local variable type checking (for error annotations).
– Improve array type checking.
– Support arrow functions when evaluating types.
– Infer function typing from code blocks.
– Add $trace() to the list of built-in functions to recognize.
– Made a release.
Community Contributions (mostly @mayakwd):
– Use class paths as sources for the standard lib.
– Validate SDK entries
– Help from @mayakwd finding and fixing an NPE when using “dev” versions of haxelibs.
– Duplicate and fix the CPU over-use issue on macOS.
– 1.0.1 Point release!
– IDEA 2017.3 and 2018.1 support and bugs fixed.
– More work toward parsing and syncing project files, leading to the automatic managing of compiler conditional definitions.
Have a great month!