Well, another month and year has flown by. I hope that everyone had a very happy holiday season, and here’s wishing you all a fun and profitable new year!
What I worked on this month:
– I’m still working on getting the debugger to start up reliably for Flash Debugging. I was working on getting the file naming right for the .SWF files when running and debugging because there are several wrong solutions in place. Well, that didn’t get completed, and while thinking about things, I thought that there might be a better approach, which I’m experimenting with at the moment. I also realized that when I broke up the lime commands from “lime test” into “lime build” and “lime run”, there is a “lime install” step missing. I’m addressing that last point at the moment, then I’ll probably get a test build out, and then I’ll get back to getting .SWF files to run reliably.
– There was a huge community submission adding new language model classes, laying the foundation for a resolver rewrite. Roughly 6000 lines of code were added and about 4000 removed. That review took a week all by itself! I sure appreciate the help, though. That code isn’t in the mainline yet; there are a few changes that we are still discussing.
Again, Happy New Year!
Every month, I spend a few minutes writing progress or status reports for my corporate sponsors (for which I am truly thankful). Frequently, these are related to efforts on the IntelliJ-Haxe plugin. They are pretty simple stuff, usually. A bunch of one-liner summaries so that folks know what I and others in the community have been working on. I’ll add a bit of explanation when it’s useful (like why a task is taking more time than I would expect, or what underlying issues were exposed by making related changes). And I got to thinking… Why not just post those reports to the blog? Maybe you folks would like to read about recent progress? Well, on the premise that some of you actually care, I’m going to do just that.
Here are the status reports for the last several months (in reverse chronological order):
What I worked on this month:
- Split the build and run phases for debugging Flash targets. Found underlying issues that require a new solution.
- 0.11.2 Release.
- Fixed 16 classes of parsing errors. (The last four after the release.)
- Wrote a ton of parsing tests.
- NPE fix for haxelibs without metadata.
- Disabled a bunch of debug logging that was filling idea.log.
- Added Adobe AIR target.
- Fixed a document link.
- Fixed a couple of null references in the lime and hxml project file models.
This month a client had a request to complete a task that was something another client had been asking for. The task was to “Include all implementations of the interface in usage search.” In other words, prompt during FindUsages if a method that was being searched for was declared in a superclass or interface, whether to search for callers of the super-method or just those of the current class. That is now complete and has been made available in a preview build (0.11.2.Preview.4). That will go live very shortly.
What I did this month:
There were no contributions from the community this month.
Here’s the work I did:
- Spent my time doing more work to make flash debugging reliably launch the .SWF. To that end, I added code to:
- parse the lime-produced debug/release.hxml files to ensure that I could find the proper .SWF and runtime args;
- invalidate and track project and lime output changes;
- added the haxe and neko directories to the run-time path;
- UI work to support remapping of sources from one library to another without changing import lines. (e.g. –remap support). Underlying support in the resolver is not written yet.
- Rewrite of the module/haxelib dependency gathering (auto-updating the dependency tree for haxelibs). This helps resolving variables when one haxelib depends upon another and the user is unaware of why “find usages” and “goto” don’t seem to be working correctly.
- Fixed Windows build environment for the plugin.
- Fix for keeping environment variables that were being dropped in some cases. (Depending upon which internal process launcher was used.)
- Fixed NPE when static methods in statically imported classes had no parameters.
- Fixed parameter count resolving for anonymous functions.
- Better parser recovery after “extends” and “implements” statements.
- Fixed parser error when dot-separated types are used in type parameters (“generics”).
This month I spent time on the following:
Getting flash (.swf) file debugger starting the debugger properly. I found one of the underlying problems is the environment that is in place when IDEA starts up. Unfortunately, it is in IDEA’s code and not something that can be worked around with code in the plugin. I sent an email separately talking about the issues and the workaround. There is still work to be done and I’ve been working through it.
- Getting the hxcpp debugger to display the proper source file when source files do not properly live in either the compiled tree or the project subtrees (meaning they are referenced as symlinks to another projects source tree).
- Adding –remap support (e.g. flash -> openFL) within the plugin. This work is to help Find, Goto References, and type resolution to be more correct. (And when type resolution is better, lots of other things magically work better.)
There were no community submissions this month.